You went to download macOS Mojave but did you find an incomplete installation application in your / Applications folder? Some Mac users have found that when they try to download MacOS Mojave from the Mac App Store, they end up with a very small 22 MB mini-installer that is not the 6 GB Macros Mojave installation app.
While the regular update or installation of macOS Mojave works correctly from the 22 MB stub installer (the other installation files are downloaded later), you can not use the incomplete 22mb installer to create a flash drive installation macOS Mojave startup, nor use the offline mini-installer, and also because it is not the complete installation app, it makes little sense to copy it on other Macs if you want to install Mojave also on they.
This article will show you a trick for how to download the full installation application of MacOS Mojave correct if you're done with the 23 MB version of "Install macOS Mojave.app" rather than the full size one.
Note that most Mac users will NOT have to follow these instructions. For most users, simply downloading MacOS Mojave from the Mac App Store will get them the full 5.8 GB installation application on their Mac. So this guide is only for users who have found the application of incomplete 22mb installation in their / Applications folder, and wanting the full-size version so that they can create a bootable USB drive or whatever.
How to download the complete MacOS Mojave installation file
- Go here to dosdude the Mojave page and download the correction tool (download links are labeled "Direct" and "Mirror" on that page) *
- Start the Mojave patch app (you may need to ignore the Gatekeeper warning by right-clicking on the app and choosing "Open")
- Open the "Tools" menu and choose "Download MacOS Mojave"
- Please confirm that you want to download the 6.5 GB MoOSHOS MacOS installer, then choose a save destination for it (if you are going to create a USB installer, put it in the / Applications / folder you need)
- Waiting for the complete download to complete, will be the various parts that the Dosdude tool builds into the appropriate single installer
When finished, look in the directory you chose as the save location for the "Install MacOS Mojave.app" file, you can confirm that it is full size by selecting it and choosing Get Info if you wish.
From the window Get information about the installation file, here is the mini 20 MB "stub" installer for macOS Mojave which is incomplete:
Also from a window Get information on the full-size installation application downloaded via the DosDude tool, here is the complete installation app of "Installation macOS Mojave.app" of XXX GB:
The latest complete installation file is the only one that contains the createinstallmedia tool to be able to create a MoJave macOS boot disk as discussed here.
* In case you were wondering what this patch is for, the Dosdude Mojave patch allows you to install MacOS Mojave on unsupported Mac hardware in an unofficial capacity, but that's not what we intend to do here. For our purposes in this particular procedure, simply use the patch to download the complete installation app. If you are not installing MacOS Mojave on an unsupported Mac, you can read more about it here or on the DosDude page above.
I did exactly this process on a MacBook Air with Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 and it worked exactly as described to download the full-featured MacOS Mojave 10.14.x installation application.
For what it's worth, a similar mini-installation problem occurred earlier with some users who also got a tiny incomplete macOS installer installer and we covered a similar solution to download the complete installation file for macOS 10.13.x.
It is not entirely clear what causes the download of the small installation app on some Macs, but not on others, could be related to the exact version of the system software Mac OS / Mac OS X installed on the Mac that is trying to download, or maybe available hard disk space. This is just speculation, however, and if you have an exact answer (or theory) about why some Mac users download the complete Mojave installation and some download the mini-installer, share with us in the comments below.